…Which, I think translates as: Thank you very much, in Japanese.
The total is in and we raised a whopping £5,160!
SCROLL DOWN TO SEE WHO BOUGHT WHAT
It might not save the world, but it’s more than any of us could have donated on our own.
And maybe it will go some way to providing a bit of food and shelter for those who have lost absolutely everything.
So a massive, gargantuan, humongous, (and other ‘large’ superlatives), to everyone who helped put on a great night.
In particular, my heartfelt thanks go to Jonathan Oakes and his wife, Sandra. Not just for providing the gallery space, but also for getting a huge amount of this country’s best photographers to donate their work. (Oh, and for also providing the beer as, unfortunately, Kirin didn’t/couldn’t show up.)
My next thank you goes to Samantha Gore at Samsi Japanese Restaurant for providing us all with some delicious sushi. And for doing that jet-lagged after coming in from a long haul flight from The States.
Thank you to Damian Morgan, from The Brave Music Agency for asking Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke from The Smiths to open the exhibition.
Mike kicked off proceedings by auctioning off a snareskin drum, (courtesy of Johnny Roadhouse), which, if you’re a drummer, is a pretty fantastic way to get the gig bidding. He’s an absolute legend and deserves the mantle ‘star’ as that’s what he was: down-to-earth, funny, generous, self-effacing, and an all round lovely bloke. I can’t thank him enough for agreeing to come along and support the event.
Thank you to Helen Furnivall from The Red Cross who picked out the lucky raffle winners.
Thank you to all the artists from all over the world who very generously donated their work for the cause.
Thank you to all the people who couldn’t make it along on the night, but either bought raffle tickets, bid online or just donated money.
Thank you to my wife, Margaret, for all her help and support. And my brother and sister-in-law, Glynn and Sheila for helping on the night.
Thank you to all the people who came along and made it such a great night.
And lastly, to my daughter, Scarlett. Who, after overhearing her Mummy and Daddy talking about last night, disappeared upstairs, then came back a few moments later with the entire contents of her piggy bank and said: Daddy, can you give this to the people of Japan, please. I’d like them to have it.
Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, (mainly postal and courier ones), a few pieces of art didn’t make it on time. So when I do get them, I’ll post them online and maybe someone might want to buy them.
Here are few pics from the night courtesy of Jonathan Oakes.
Doumo Arigato to everyone.
JAPAN ART AUCTION 07/04/11
Who bought what:
1. DAVID SHORT Svartifoss (Black Falls, Iceland) ROBERT WALKER
2. MICHAEL SWALLOW Manchester at Dusk
3. SIMON WINNALL Ugandan Gorilla VICTORIA – RMSPR
4. MICHAEL SWALLOW Scarlet Oak DAMIAN MORGAN
5. ROBERT WALKER Westwood FARRAH GUDGEON
6. ROBERT WALKER Yamamoto JONATHAN OAKES
7. GRAEME COOPER White Stag SANDRA OAKES
8. MIKE McGINN Untitled HEATHER TWEEDALE
9. JONATHAN OAKES Pete Postlethwaite M.S. BRUCE
10. STEPHEN WRIGHT The Smiths Donated by Mike Joyce HELEN FURNIVALL
11. LYNTON HEMSLEY Untitled SHEILA DALY
12. DAVID PORTER The Beatles STEPH (LEO KELLY)
13. SARAH PARRIS Tokyo Cityscape NICKY UNSWORTH BJL
14. PAUL FOSBURY Lost Carriage MOLLY COCKCROFT
15. CAROLYN WALSH Untitled STUART MCNEILL
16. MARTIN O’NEILL Joy Division AL KAY
17. NICK & CHLOE Lord of the Dust WAYNE STOUT
18. SELINA YUK TZANG PAN Think Small GRAHAM HOYLE
19, 20, 21, WILHELM SCHOLZ / DES BARZEY Blood Sample PATRICK CHAPMAN
22, 23, WILHELM SCHOLZ / DES BARZEY Fingerprint MARKHAM SMITH
24. LOU HUGHES Untitled VICTORIA RMSPR
25. PAUL MOFFAT, Frazer Island CHRIS PETCH
26, 27, 28, AIDAN DOWLING Three ‘Private Eye’ cartoons JOE COLEMAN
29. GRACE MILLS Lotus Flower. MOLLY COCKCROFT
30. DAVID MILLIGAN-CROFT Poem for Japan GRAEME COOPER
31. NICOLA DAVID Moroccan water seller MARKHAM SMITH
32. JOHN SHELLEY Maruzen Star MIKE WILLIG
33. PATRICK GOODWIN Untitled HELEN FURNIVALL
34. FISHINK, Untitled SELINA YUK TZUNG PAN
35. ROBERTA MASCIARELLI Winter 11/11 GRAHAM HOYLE
36. RACHAEL WILLIAMS Untitled GRAEME COOPER
37. OONAGH YOUNG Kortula, Croatia SALLY LEONARD
38. MOLLY COCKCROFT, Imaginary City MARKHAM SMITH
39. ELLA GRIFFIN Signed novel and inclusion in next novel PETE BASTIMAN
40. JOE COLEMAN In case of Fire VICKI COCKCROFT
41. PATRICK CHAPMAN Signed collected works of poetry and original hand written poem HELEN FURNIVALL
42. TONE VON KROGH Three Ceramic bottles ROBERT WALKER
43. MARI-RUTH ODA A Space Inbetween PAUL FOSBURY
44. MARI-RUTH ODA Bony Holes ROBERT WALKER
45. DAMEON LYNN Ceramic bowl RICHARD TWEEDALE
46. PRUE BIDDLE Silver Bangle FERGUS MCCALLUM
47. JUNKO MORI RING 1 MARI-RUTH ODA
48. JUNKO MORI RING 2 TONE VON KROGH
49. JUNKO MORI RING 3 UNSOLD
50. JUNKO MORI RING 4 OONAGH YOUNG
51. JUNKO MORI RING 5 UNSOLD
52. MAGGIE GIBSON Japan LEO KELLY
53. CRAIG HEBDITCH Broken land, unbroken spirit SARAH JANE ROBERTSON
54. SARAH JANE ROBERTSON Sunshine Mandala MARI-RUTH ODA
55. SARAH JANE ROBERTSON Moonlight Mandala MARI-RUTH ODA
56. MIKE JOYCE Signed Snareskin drum SALLY LEONARD
57. MIKE JOYCE Signed drumsticks drum skin ALEX KAY
58. ANDY GALLACHER Portrait MIKE JOYCE
59. TIM HETHERINGTON Surfer CHRIS WOOD
60. DEBORAH SCHENCK Polaroid transfer JONATHAN OAKES
61. PAUL WOLFGANG WEBSTER Brian Cox MOLLY COCKCROFT
62. JAMES O’CONNELL Newton’s Cradle STUART MCNEILL
63. SHANE HOLLOHAN Margaret Daly
64. KATY & LILY EGAN Unsold
65. JEAN SMITH Gardener Unsold (Not present at auction)
66. KELVIN HUDSON Butterflies (Not present at auction)
67. ALEX TELFER Unsold (Not present at auction)
More pics, from Molly Cockcroft